Saturday, 26 October 2013

Come Quilt With Me - Week 1 Update on squares

Come Quilt With Me 
Week 1 - Update on squares


Following on from my earlier blog post on Week 1 of the 'Come Quilt With Me' quilt-along, I wanted to post an update on what I have been working on this week.


After choosing the fabrics I wanted to use for the squares project, I popped along to Hannah's blog for the instructions and handy tips.  I chose some pretty floral fabrics and cut them into the recommended sized squares.


  I layed them in the same pattern as Hannah's 4 x 4 squares (shown above) and once I was happy with the way they looked, I began sewing them together as instructed.


The squares were much smaller in size than the usual size fabric that I work with, so I found I had to concentrate more closely on feeding the fabric through the machine to maintain good seam lines. The picture above shows the squares, once the first set of seams for each row had been sewn.


After reading some handy tips about 'nesting seams', I began sewing the rows together.  Now somewhere between this step and the next, I somehow managed to sew one of the wrong rows together.  I took a snap of my error (shown above) before I unpicked it (or at least my kind sister did). 


Once the squares had been stitched back into their rightful places, I chose the pink floral fabric for the backing of the cushion.  After some machine sewing, stuffing and handsewing, my gorgeous little patchwork cushion was complete!  The final result of this patchwork square cushion is at the top of the blog page.

This project was a lot of fun and quick to complete.  If you're like me, you'll have to be careful with sewing the squares and matching the seams together but I definitely want to make more!



A big thank you to Hannah for her blog tutorial and tips! Don't forget you can find out more and sign up to 'Come Quilt With Me' here :-)

The next project to try is a 'Needlebook tutorial'!

Until next time...

Jen
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

Rose Smith said...

Well done, looks fantastic! :-D xx

Michelle Abbott said...

Hi,
Your cushion looks soo pretty, well done, you did a great job.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails